Friday, September 16, 2011

Cold Storage Wine Fair @ Vivo City

Date: Sep 16, 2011

Just now, I dropped by Vivo City.  There is a International Wine Fair until Sep 20.

IMG_1139.JPG

It was very different feeling after you graduated from "The Business, Science and Art of Wine" class @ Singapore Poly.  I become a little bit more knowleageable.  And after talking to a few people at the wine fair, you know some of them simply are BSing you.  HaHaHa.  So, you corrected them, and they backed off.  Then, you know who are the experts there, and start to appreciate the wine by giving out a lot of different descriptions.  Furthurmore, ... ya, I know ... you can't get lot's of Italian wine here, because they simply made it and consumed there.  :)  Didn't we just learned all these from the class.

Quite a lof of people visit the wine fair.  And you get to taste all the wine available there.  For me, I just go for the Chilean and Italian wine.  There is a big booth for Burgandy wine, but I still think that Carrfore Wine Fair (i.e. Sep 29-Oct 12) will carry more reputable wines from French.  I drank a few Burgandy wines, I don't like them.

IMG_1140.JPG

I tasted this Refosco from Italy.  It was very pleasant.  It is easy drinking wine.

IMG_1147.jpg

And I don't think it is expensive at all.  This can be a very home cosumption wines or every day drinking wine.

IMG_1148.jpgIMG_1137.jpg

Next, I tasted this white wine (of course, rinsed all my wine in the mouth later), and it is from the same vineyard.  I was quite young wine.  But very fruity.  A bit dry.  I like it.  It is quite similar to some wines I bought last year from Carrfour Wine Fair.  The Savignon from Italy also a very easy drinking wine.

IMG_1149.jpg

A bit more expenseive than the wine I bought last year.  But it is Ok.

IMG_1150.jpgIMG_1136.jpg

Then, I drank some Sangiovese, and I don't like it.  A Barberesco, which is the same grapes as Barolo (i.e. Nebbiolo).  As we learned from the class, in Italy, even the same type of grapes that is produced in a near by neighbourhood, will produce very different feeling.  So, I starting to appreciate it.

IMG_1145.jpg

I think it is a very fair price too.  The usual price is about $80+.  This one is a better wine, but need to let it breathe for 1/2 hour.

IMG_1146.jpgIMG_1138.jpg

I tried this sparkling red wine.  And it is very refreshing.  Especially when it is very chilled.  The drinking experience of this Sparkling Red wine (not rose), is very pleasant!  So, I also bought 2 bottles of this.

IMG_1142.jpg

I seldom drink Sparkling wine, but I think I will fell in love with this one.  I got to find something that is not so sweet to pair with this sparkling red wine.

IMG_1143.jpg

Then, enough of Italian wine.  I went to see Concha Y'Toro.  I wanted to buy the Don Melchor.  But $120 is a high price tag.  I will need to find some way to buy it cheap.  I drank the same don Celchor yesterday with the 1997 vintage, it was great!  Istead, I bought 2 bottles of Casillero del Diablo.  A Chillean Shiraz.

IMG_1141.jpg

This Shiraz is very fruity with some pepper notes.  The person who sell it, say, "can you taste the black pepper?  and also the Chocolate?"  I can taste the little bit spicy pepper note, but deffinitely not the Chocolate.  And yes the tannin is very soft, and it should go well with the spicy seafood.

IMG_1144.jpg

Oh ya, in this wine fair, if you purchased more than $80 in a receipt, they give you a Decanter.  Well, of course is not an expensive decanter (per $80).  But it should be good enough to decanter any aged wine.  So, what we do, is we splited it into 3 payments, and we get 3 FREE Decanters.  You need to pay by Amex though.

IMG_1153.jpg

Wow.  I am a different person now, when it comes to tasting wine.  So, today, I bought 9 bottles.  So, I planned to finished at least 4-5 bottles in 2 weeks time, so that I can buy more from the Carrfore Wine Fair.  :)

IMG_1152.JPG

Hey look!  Cool, the back label of the Barolo teaches you how to store the wine.  And Yes, I know why we need to lay the wine horizontally.  Cool!

IMG_1154.JPG

And ouch.  By wine fridge is about 90% full now.

IMG_1155.jpg

Since I am happy today, and I decided to cook.  Cook what?  How about Curry Fishhead.

IMG_1156.jpgf

And can you guess why I am cooking curry fish head today?  Pepperly taste and spicy.

IMG_1160.jpg

And of couse, I thought of pairing it with Casillero del Diablo.  That is why I cooked the spicy main dish.  Of course, got secondary stir fried beef and eggs too.  And I am right, it goes very well and harmony with the Curry Fish head.

IMG_1158.JPG

So, if you are a wine drinker.  Don't forget to get some wine there.  Here are the tips.

1.  Go there, taste every wine.  Buy those that you like.

2.  Talk to the people there.  You can tell who is the expert and who is the con-man.  If you cannot tell, just talk to every one there.

3.  Don't forget to split your bill to $80 per bill.  You will get a free decanter.  Must use Amex Card.

Of course, now, when I buy I will try to buy at least 2 bottles just to taste it.  So, if It is very good, I will buy more.  Last day is Sep 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment