Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Welcome to the age of Digital Media

hometopleft.gif

15 years ago, you still need to buy Fuji or Kodak films to take photos. You still need to bring your film to develop into printed photos.

Today, I have no idea, how many digital camera I have had. That's not the thing I worried. What I worry is the digital photos I have taken, the digital videos that I have taken. What do I do with them.

When I turned on my iPhoto then I realize how big the digital photos collections that I have kept over the last 10 years. Some I have lost it due to hard disk crashes.

Every event, you tends to take hundreds of pictures. Some photos frankly speaking are really bad. But because of the convenient of digital photos, you tends to keep those photos as well. "Errr... Although some parts are blur, but he is so sweet.. let's keep it"... So, keeping thousands of photos become a habit.

I don't think many people think what should they do about those photos. What will you do?

Here are some of the issues I kept asking myself ...

1) How do you backup? To DVD, another harddisk, online? How big diskspace you need to get? 10GB? 20GB? Do you want to pay? What is the backup of the backup? If everything crashes?

2) How do you show it to your friends when they come to visit? Do you show it on Apple TV? What is the best way to show it? Do you make it to a slide show or movies of a compilations of photos? Do you have the time?

3) How do you pick the photos to keep? What do you do with those blur photos?

4) Since now is a digital age, do you scan those photos you taken 15 years ago?

5) Do I have the time to do such massive photo management? We are talking about hundreds of thousands of photos here...

6) Yes, there is Smart Album features, and that you can use "Faces" to try to group your photos... But do you want to organize it as event? or people?

7) What do you do with those photos you decided not to keep... press delete keys to permanently delete it?

Or dear... So much work and so little time...

No comments:

Post a Comment